Essential Oils and Kids
Here are my top 5 tips when using dōTERRA essential oils on kiddos!
1. Less oil more frequent is keep. For a healthy kiddo applying oils morning and night is the perfect amount. Essential oils have a 1/2 life from 2-6 hours meaning this is how long they stay in the body before they are used, processed and excreted out. Applying 1-2 drops every few hours is ideal when fighting something specific like a cold or tummy issue.
2. Always dilute. See my post here about dilution. 1-2 drops of essential oil to 3-4 drops FCO will do the trick. This helps in 2 ways; 1. prevents irritation to skin, 2. helps absorb into the body.
3. Let your kids be intuitive when using oils. They have a great sense of what they like so let them have the freedom to choose what they would like to use! I have found when I do this my kids are more likely to use oils without me when they feel comfortable picking and apply themselves.
4. Do NOT apply oils in eyes, ears, nose.
5. Some oils can be "hot" so steer clear of those. Here's a list of oils that are hot!
My favorite must haves for kids are Lavender, Melaleuca/ Tea Tree, and the kids collection! Frankincense and Copaiba are really helpful too!
Did you know that the top 9 Oils and the Kids Collection all come prediluted easy to use! My littles love the rollerballs because they can do it by themselves. I do like to have a few undiluted for the diffuser.